Metabolic Surgery Can Help You Minimize Your Risk for Developing Serious Health Conditions
Metabolic surgery can help you lose weight by limiting your diet, while simultaneously regulating certain metabolic illnesses such as Type 2 diabetes. This surgery is recommended for patients diagnosed with metabolic syndromes, which are known for placing you at risk for developing certain conditions, such as heart disease and stroke. Dr. Liza María Pompa González and our team dedicate themselves to continued education, ensuring they provide the safest and most effective metabolic and bariatric surgeries for our patients at LIMARP® in Tijuana, Mexico. In addition to offering a number of successful bariatric and metabolic procedures, our facility provides personalized nutrition and exercise plans to help you achieve your lasting health goals.
What is Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome is a term that encompasses a group of metabolic risk factors. Risk factors include:
- Elevated blood pressure
- High blood sugar levels
- Abdominal obesity and excessive amounts of fat in specific areas
- Abnormal triglyceride levels
- Low good cholesterol levels
When patients are diagnosed with at least three of the five conditions, they are in danger of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Patients diagnosed with metabolic syndrome can undergo metabolic surgery to reverse negative side effects and prevent serious issues from developing.
What Does Metabolic Surgery Treat?
Metabolic surgery includes a variety of gastrointestinal surgeries designed to treat diabetes and other metabolic conditions. Different procedures offered at LIMARP to help patients achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle include:
- Gastric Bypass: Also known as a Roux-en-Y, a gastric bypass is a popular, irreversible bariatric surgery recommended for patients who have a BMI over 40 in addition to metabolic health concerns. During this procedure, Dr. Pompa González will divide the stomach alter how it connects with the intestines, bypassing the area where a significant portion of the nutrition absorption occurs. This procedure is designed to restrict the amount of food consumed in one sitting and limit your ability to process certain substances to promote rapid weight loss.
- Mini Gastric Bypass: Less complex than traditional gastric bypass, this procedure also reduces the size of the stomach while bypassing a smaller portion of the intestinal tract to prevent nutritional absorption. Similar to traditional methods, mini gastric bypass is designed to help you feel fuller longer, as well as experience rapid weight loss.
- Duodenal Switch: This complex procedure is irreversible and requires a lengthy surgery. Because of its risk for complications, duodenal switch is reserved for morbidly obese patients with metabolic health concerns. During this procedure, Dr. Pompa González removes a large portion of the stomach and gastrointestinal tract to limit food intake and promote rapid weight loss.
Determining Your Candidacy
Patients diagnosed with metabolic syndrome can undergo metabolic surgery to reverse negative side effects and prevent serious issues from developing. Candidates for this procedure include patients who have been diagnosed with at least three metabolic syndrome risk factors and incapable of achieving a healthy body weight when following a regimented diet and exercise plan.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you have recently been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and are at risk for developing serious health conditions, contact LIMARP® online to schedule your consultation. You can also reach us by phone at (664) 686-2542 (Mexico) or (619) 270-8823 (USA).