Many bariatric surgery patients are happy with their LAP-BAND® results. However, some gastric banding procedures are not as effective as they could be. That’s when Tijuana, Mexico weight loss surgeon Dr. Liza Maria Pompa Gonzalez performs bariatric surgery revision, which converts one bariatric procedure into another. This helps lead to better weight loss outcomes.
A number of failed LAP-BAND® procedures have been converted into gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy. The team at LIMARP® would like to go over the basics of this process below.
Why a LAP-BAND® May Not Be Effective
While the LAP-BAND® has been effective for countless bariatric surgery patients, there have been times when it has not achieved the results that patients were hoping for. Some reasons why include:
- Slippage of the gastric band
- Injury to the stomach from the gastric band
- Weight loss has plateaued
- Weight loss is not rapid or dramatic enough
Good Candidates for Bariatric Revision Surgery
There are numerous options to consider for patients who have experienced problems with their LAP-BAND® procedure. Revision surgery is one important option worth considering.
Good candidates for bariatric surgery revision are people who have experienced limited weight loss from their LAP-BAND® procedure or have run into complications as a result of the band itself. They should be interested in continuing to lose weight through bariatric procedures.
Why a Gastric Sleeve?
One of the surgeries that a LAP-BAND® can be converted into is the gastric sleeve. This procedure is worth considering for a number of reasons:
- It’s Simple and Straightforward - With a gastric sleeve, the size of the stomach is reduced surgically, which restricts the amount of calories that can be consumed in a sitting. This is done simply by removing part of the stomach.
- Lower Risk of Complications Than Other Options - Since gastric sleeve only involves changing the size of the stomach, there is a much lower risk of complications when compared to gastric bypass and more invasive surgical procedures.
- It’s Popular and Yields Results - The gastric sleeve is one of the most popular options for surgical weight loss today because of its simplicity and lower risk.
What to Expect During Revision Surgery
Whenever possible, a bariatric surgeon will perform the revision surgery through the same incisions that were made for the initial weight loss procedure. This helps limit scarring. The LAP-BAND® will be removed, and the bariatric surgeon will then reduce the overall size of the patient’s stomach.
The Results of a LAP-BAND® to Gastric Sleeve Conversion
Results of bariatric surgery revision can be quite dramatic. Many patients report that they experience much more significant weight loss with a gastric sleeve than they did with their LAP-BAND®. Patient satisfaction with gastric sleeve surgery is generally high.
Is This the Ideal Bariatric Surgery for Me?
While many patients can benefit from getting a gastric sleeve, it’s not the only option available. We can discuss all weight loss surgery options with you in much greater detail during a consultation. We will help you pick the best option for your revision procedure.
Learn More About Revision Bariatric Surgery
For more information about all of your options for surgical weight loss, be sure to contact an experienced bariatric surgeon. The entire team at LIMARP® is here to help. You can reach us by phone at (866) 279-8330.